Tuesday, October 28, 2014

lost and foundation

Ok, so a few things have happened over the last couple of weeks.  The foundation guys have continued to prep the site since we got the permits approved.  Since I'm pretty unfamiliar with the ins and outs of foundation work I've spent quite a bit of time online trying to gain a basic understanding of the whole process.  I expressed a few concerns about stumps and some shrubs that were in the footprint.  I felt like most of it should be taken out before putting down any base or concrete.  There seemed to be a bit of resistance to do any further clearing by the foundation guys.  I spoke to the head foundation guy and he said that it shouldn't be a concern and that this is how it is usually done.  I expressed these concerns to our contractor and he then spoke to the foundation guy.  This resulted in one of the guys in a Bobcat removing some boulders, stumps, and shrubs.  It's possible that they may have done this on their own anyway but I don't really see any need to stand by silent if I feel like something might not get done.

Another box that received a check mark was a meeting with the septic engineer.  We agreed to meet, just he and I, at the property on a Thursday morning.  I was once again in unfamiliar territory so I was actually looking forward to asking a few questions.  I got there a bit early and watched as he pulled up in his red Range Rover which caught me a bit off guard.  I'm not sure what I expected a septic engineer to drive but I guess I was thinking more late 90's Ford truck than a slick luxury SUV.  I was even more surprised when his attractive assistant got out of the passenger seat.  Anyway, he and his assistant turned out to be very nice.  We walked the entire property, he did all of his measuring, and I got to ask my questions.  We did walk to all four corners of the property to try and find the iron rods that marked the property lines.  We only found one but it was fun looking anyway. 

Rough in plumbing was the next step in the process.  After I told the plumber the general location of the septic he figured out how things were going to work with the drain pipes.  I did find it strange that the location of the septic came from my mouth and not some official septic engineers report or something.  I was sure that I had heard him right but mistakes are made all the time and putting the septic drain pipe in the wrong location seemed like a big one.  I ended up speaking to the septic engineer on the phone and he confirmed the location.  There was also some discrepancy between the plumber and the foundation guy on where to put drain pipe.  In the end the plumber got his way (which I felt was the correct way) even though it supposedly caused a little bit more work for the foundation guys.  The plumbers made quick work and got the plumbing in in a day and a half.  The city came out to inspect the next day and actually disapproved it for not enough gravel around the pipes.  The very next day the guys came out and fixed the problem and the city gave us an approval.


I spoke to the foundation guy the next day and he said that things should start moving quickly now.  In fact, he's estimating pouring the foundation a week from now.  I watched them bring in a truckload of gravel the day before yesterday and supposedly there are two more coming.



I have been "hanging out" at the property quite a bit.  Basically if I'm not at work or don't have something scheduled I'm at the property.  Partially because I really enjoy being out there and seeing the process but also I don't want to not be in the loop on anything.  Communication is a really funny thing and the more people you add into the "chain" the less likely that you will effectively receive the message.  I guess some people really don't want to be involved, not unlike life itself.................


No comments:

Post a Comment